The warmer weather is finally here but with the rising temperatures come a host of unwanted pests, namely fleas and ticks. Whilst these parasites are small, they can lead to big problems and can cause serious diseases.
So here are 5 handy tips to help prevent fleas from setting up camp in your pets fur this summer.
- Check your pets for fleas and ticks on a daily basis. Do this while grooming or playing with them. Don’t forget to pay close attention to eyes, ears and feet as ticks love these areas!
- If you are worried your pet may have fleas, a fine-toothed flea comb may help you detect them in your pet’s coat.
- Ticks can be tricky to identify and can sometimes be mistaken for warts or skin tags! Always ask your vet to check anything you are worried about as ticks need to be properly removed.
- When your pet visits catteries, kennels or goes out with a dog walker, check other pets are treated for fleas and worms to reduce the risk of them being shared.
- Apply a vet-recommended flea treatment such as Advantage or Frontline regularly as per the manufacturer’s guidelines to ensure your pet is protected.
To keep your pet healthy and parasite-free sign up to our convenient and affordable pet health plan that delivers direct to your door.